Message from the Chair
Prof Dr Taqi Al-Abdawani, Chairman of Board of Directors
Professorship, International University of Vienna
PhD University of Reading, UK
Master, University of Lincoln, UK
CMA, The Institute of Certified Management Accountants, Australia
ISO 9001:2008 Internal Auditor
External programme reviewer of Association of Arab Universities
External programme reviewer of Ministry of Higher Education, Oman
External reviewer of Oman Academic Accreditation Authority
On 8th May 2018, the higher education sector in Oman celebrated the launch of OAQHE under the patronage of HE Dr. Abdullah Mohammed Al Sarmi, Undersecretary, Ministry of Higher Education.
On behalf of Oman Association for Quality in Higher Education (OAQHE) board members, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Education Council, Ministry of Higher Education, Research Council and Oman Academic Accreditation Authority (OAAA) for their continuous support to enhance the higher education sector in Oman. I would like thank also the individuals who served the higher education when the association was still a network. The activity of the network started in 2008.
The focus area of the association is to share good practices through conferences, workshops, forums and symposiums. The members are entitled to attend all the activities of the association free of charge. Four (4) members from the universities and two (2) members from colleges. The membership is also open for the individuals who would like to contribute to the higher education sector in Oman.
The objectives of the association can be summarised as follows:-
1. Establish culture of quality in Higher Education by supporting the initiatives and the activities and enhancing the quality
2. Contributing in providing technical support and training programme for the workforce of higher education institution
3. Work towards enhancing the association activities for sustainability
4. Enhance relationship with other similar associations nationally, regionally and internationally
5. Provide a platform of Coordination between higher education institutions in Oman and other higher education authorities locally, regionally and internationally through sharing good practices and activities which might enhance the performance of Quality assurance. This to be within the scope of the OAQHE
In the year 2018, the association conducted five (5) activities which includes 2 workshops. In 2019, conducted 4 activities which includes 2 workshops. For 2020, the plan is to conduct 5 activities including 4 workshops plus 1 conference either will be conducted at the end of year 2020 or first quarter of 2021.
The association formed 2 permanent committees;
1. Corporate Identity, Media and Communication Committee
2. Events planning and management Committee
Each committee has operational plan and a target to meet. The board of directors also reviewed and approved its strategic and operational plan, a platform for the vision, mission strategies and the focus area of the association.
I would like to encourage all higher education institutions both government and private to become members and support the activities of the association. The higher education sector in Oman has long journey to travel and sharing good practices will make the journey easier to everyone.
Taqi Al Abdwani